ESRC Festival of Social Science 2012
CGAP will be organising two events as part of the ESRC Festival of Social Science.
CGAP at Strathclyde Business School are holding an event in partnership with TSRC entitled 'Social investment for the 21st century' on 5 November, 10.00-16.00
This event provides an opportunity for social entrepreneurs, social enterprises, social investors and supporters of social enterprise including policymakers and researchers to discuss new and emerging forms of social investment and to consider the relevance of current practice, research and policy in social investment, entrepreneurial philanthropy and wealth redistribution for social purposes, including social innovation.
Read the programme (pdf)
Advance registration is required, register online.
CGAP at Cass Business School will be holding an event entitled 'Learning from failure in the non-profit sector' on 6 November, 12.00-14.00 (registration from 11.30)
There is widespread agreement that ‘failure’ can be an important source of knowledge. However, in a funding, research and practice environment that focuses on impact, outcomes and accountability, failure is often conflated with ‘fault’ and ‘blame’. Consequently, failure is feared and organisations are reluctant to share knowledge on ‘what does not work’ and ‘why something did not work’. This stifles innovation and growth within the sector.
In this roundtable debate we will:
- explore perspectives on failure in the non-profit sector,
- examine the potential for and challenges of learning from failure,
- and discusses strategies in which failure can be used in a constructive and intelligent way to encourage innovation, better practice and knowledge-mobilisation.
- Andrew Cooper, Research Manager The Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fund
- Heather Petch, Former Director HACT
- Peter Wells, Professor of Public Policy Analysis and Evaluation, and Director of the Centre for Regional Economic and Social Research, Sheffield Hallam University
- Cathy Pharoah, Professor of Charity Funding, and Co-Director Centre for Charitable Giving and Philanthropy (CGAP), Cass Business School, City University London
Advance registration is required. Please register online.
The ESRC Festival of Social Science runs from 3 to 10 November. Details of all events can be found on the Festival of Social Science website.